Return to previous page

John Hymers was killed at his place of employment the Jarrow Chemical Company.

Extract from the Shields Gazette August 9 1879.

Last night, Mr. Coroner Graham opened an inquest at a quarter past ten o’clock at the London Hotel (Mr. McHugh’s), Corstorphine Town, South Shields, on the body of John Hymers, joiner, 56 years of age, who died that morning from injuries received the previous day, while working at the Jarrow Chemical Works. – Mary Ann Renton, wife of Ralph Renton, grocer, Corstorphine Town, identified the body seen by the jury as that of John Hymers.  He was injured on the head, and was insensible from the time of the accident. – Richard Richardson, joiner, employed by the Jarrow Chemical Company, said Hymers was also employed by the company.  On Thursday morning, at 7.45 a.m., they were repairing the timber of the roof of a cooperage store.  One of the parlings was broken, and the roof was sagged or drooping.  To get it up to a proper level, they used a bell screw.  They had been screwing it about twenty minutes, and Hymers was looking up to se if they had screwed it up high enough, the job being under his charge, as second foreman.  While he was so watching, a loose beam above the tie beam fell and struck him on the left eyebrow, then slipped on to his chest, and brought him to the ground.  It fell about 18 or 19 feet before it struck him.  The weight of the beam was about five or six stones.  The beam fell because it had not been nailed to the purling, but merely rested on the rafter.  Thomas Wilson, foreman joiner, set the deceased upon the job at six o’clock on Thursday morning.  When the deceased was picked up he was bleeding from the nose and mouth.  He was insensible, and was taken home at one and the doctor sent for. – The roof was explained by means of a rough sketch by Mr. Wilson, the foreman joiner, and the jury were satisfied that there had been no carelessness or negligence. – the jury unanimously returned a verdict of “Accidental death,” and the inquiry terminated at eleven o’clock.

In 1871 John Hymers lived with his wife Agnes, who was 43 years old and his 73 year old Mother Jane at 3 Lackland St. Westoe. In 1883 after a long and painful illness, Agnes died at her home, 9 Corstorphine Town aged 44.

Above: Lackland St in c1930 after clearances

The London Hotel where the inquest was held. This view is c1900

Back to Top